Dec 17, 2011 - Uncategorized    Comments Off on A wee bit in denial ~ Full circle

A wee bit in denial ~ Full circle

As I spent today walking around Algorta in the rain (symbolic of Bilbao crying for our departure according to one of my professors, awwww), sat talking with my love, Elana, and watched a movie with Carmen, I found it hard to believe that I really am about to leave the place and the country that has been my home for the last 3 and a half months. I have made so many wonderful memories and friends while here that it’s hard to even explain it all. I’m nervous for the general question of “how was spain?” because I don’t have a general answer. Spain was awesome, fabulous, unreal, very much the dream that I was referring to when I named my blog!

SPAIN. I have a routine here, a real life within this foreign culture, one that I’m finally used to and could easily continue living. The body wash that I used as shampoo my first two nights here still sits in my shower, taunting me. The large tin that has housed the galletas (aka biscuits) that composed 80% of my Spanish diet is still full. The beach and my running routes still call my name. But my closet is once again empty, my suitcases full and next to my bed, most of my new friends are half way back to the US, I’ve said goodbye to my little spanish boys, and I’ve already drowned my tears more than once in what is the best spanish candy ever – sour, cream filled straws. Carmen has been telling me repeatedly how much she’s enjoyed having me this semester. When she found out the name and some info about her next host student, she tried to convince me to stay another semester. It’s so sweet and so sad. Along with everything else I will definitely miss this wonderful lady, crazy rants about sandwiches and all! 

My flight plans for the morning are as follows: Sunday December 18th                               6:50am Bilbao, Spain to Frankfurt, Germany                                          12:45pm Frankfurt, Germany to Philly                                                   — 6 hour time change — : (                                                              6:10pm Pilly to Baltimore

By 7pm tomorrow evening I will be back in the US of A. I am, of course, super excited to be reuniting with my family and America friends but I am super sad to be closing this chapter of my life. Much love Bilbao!! Here’s to waking up from my Spanish dream…

” You get a strange feeling when you’re about to leave a place, I told him, like you’ll not only miss the people you love but you’ll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you’ll never be this way ever again.” 
― Azar Nafisi